Thursday 9 February 2012

A Jobseeker's Story


I’m looking for a job these days and the start point is obviously my CV. In my early twenties, I had one CV like everybody. I graduated Journalism, had a couple of jobs in Media, everything went smooth. Moving into my thirties, a new CV surfaced. I got into the Hospitality industry, managed a couple of restaurants, moving around the world a bit. With two CVs I thought that the chances to get a job would double up but when I wanted to make a change they actually halved. Now I’m well into my forties and I have four CVs. I worked in Property, sold some houses, do some viewings in Lettings, tried to open an Estate agency. In parallel I attended some courses in Novel Writing, published two books, wrote a novel, got stuck into this writing mania. Now when I’m struggling to get a job I realize that my chances of employment have fallen even lower, probably to a quarter. As you can see we have a geometric progression here with the CVs multiplying at a common ratio of 2 at every ten years and the chances to get a job going down in retrogression. A mathematician might look at this with a raised brow and increased interest. She might even pick up the phone and call her HR friend and ask her whether this formula could have any chance to be taken forward and give the jobseekers and recruiters some important advice on how they should approach each other. So should I expect as I move through the fifties to have eight CVs and the chances to get a job fall even lower, down to probably ten percent? Sure I can. I just need to put my hobbies in descending order and stretch the first four of them to look more or less like a career.

No comments:

Post a Comment